Liberty Mutual agents in Dallas-Fort Worth have nominated seven local causes to receive $30,000 as part of the Like My Community™ project, now in its second year. The program gives deserving organizations in three cities – Milwaukee, Dallas-Fort Worth and Baltimore – the chance to earn funding for improvements and renovations. Most nonprofit organizations could stand to put these funds to critical use, and now Liberty Mutual will award $30,000 each to the top three causes that receive the most votes on the Dallas Facebook page.
In 2011, area residents chose the following organizations to receive $30,000 in funding from Liberty Mutual Insurance: Mary Crowley Cancer Research Centers, The Miracle League of Frisco and The Samaritan Inn. Last year’s runners-up, each earning $2,500, were Big Thought, Dallas Black Dance Theatre, Dallas Lighthouse for the Blind and Family Resource Center of North Texas. Even if you can’t pull out a checkbook and distribute funds yourself, you can do the next best thing by voting. In fact, you can vote once per day, per cause, until August 20th. And be sure to check often; the page occasionally holds “double vote” days. You can also cast an extra vote cast by texting “LMDAL” to 61698.
Here’s an overview of this year’s nominated causes:
• Family Gateway – Family Gateway seeks to break the generational cycle of homelessness by providing individualized care to homeless families with children, restoring the dignity, stability and self-sufficiency of the family unit.
• Frisco Family Services – Serves the families and individuals of Frisco and surrounding areas by providing a safety net to support their independence, including help with utilities, mortgages and payments for prescriptions.
• Heroes for Children – Provides financial and social assistance to families battling cancer to help relieve strain and stress during this difficult time in their lives, whether it is to pay a medical bill, buy gas for trips to the hospital, or keep a family from having their electricity turned off.
• Jonathan’s Place – Provides safe, loving homes and specialized services for children who have been abused, abandoned or neglected.
• North Texas Food Bank – Distributes donated, purchased and prepared foods through a network of 1,000 feeding programs in 13 North Texas counties.
• This Side Up Family Center – Aims to strengthen the family unit through intentional fun, connection and education at one great location.
• Wilkinson Center – A poverty rescue and prevention agency for the working poor that offers hope, inspiration and the basic necessities and tools to empower its clients to become self-sufficient and improve their lives. The center includes an emergency food pantry and afterschool and summer programs for kids.